Thank you for using Speakr. This policy explains how your information, and the information you enter in Speakr is used, and protected.
We’ll start by getting a few definitions out of the way that should help you understand this policy.
- When we say ‘you’, we mean the person reading this policy, with an interest in, and / or registered account, with Speakr;
- When we say ‘we,’ ‘us,’ and ‘Speakr,’ we’re referring to Speakr Technologies, a limited company registered in Bath, in the United Kingdom.
- When we say ‘pupil’, we referring to pupils at a school with a registered Speakr account, and by ‘staff’ we mean Teachers, Teaching Assistants, Head Teachers, Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinators (SENCOs).
- When we say ‘Members’ we mean any user of the Speakr system, whether pupil, staff, or an authorised third party (such as a social worker).
- When we say ‘school’, we mean a school that has registered to use Speakr.
- When we say ‘Registered Administrators’ we mean the members of staff at a school who have been nominated by the school as administrators of the Speakr system on a school’s behalf, or who have acted on the school’s behalf to set up the school’s Speakr access.
We provide an online platform that make it easy for pupils to articulate how they feel at school, and help staff to see which pupils need a little help (the ‘Services’). We offer the Services on our website http://speakr.co.uk. In the course of providing the Services, we may collect Personal Information, which means information about staff at a school - derived from email addresses registered with Speakr, but we never collect or share personally identifiable information about pupils. Schools may share personally identifiable details about their pupils, subject to, and in order to comply with, their own policies.
3. Effective Date
If you have any questions or comments, please use our contact form to get in touch. You may also contact us by postal mail at:
Speakr Technologies Ltd
5. Information we collect
- School / Class / Group Information: When you add a School, Class, or Group, we have knowledge of this.
- Pupil and Staff Information: We have theoretical access to the names and Speakr entries of Pupils, and interactions between Staff and Pupils – these are secured behind layers of physical and technical protection, and encrypted both on our servers and in transit between our servers and the school’s system. We promise never to access this data unless to diagnose and resolve a technical fault, and will never share it unless specifically requested by the school, the pupil or staff member who entered it, or by formal legal request in the relevant legal jurisdiction.
- Information from your Use of the Service: We may get information about how and when Pupils and Staff use the Services. This information may include IP address, time, date, browser used, and actions taken by Pupils and Staff within the application.
- Cookies: Cookies are strings of code that tell a website owner when you use the website, your browser type and version, operating system, and other similar information. We use third party services (such as Google Analytics) to gather anonymised data about the usage of Speakr services (browser details – like the version of Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox used – are particularly important to help us ensure that we’re offering the best experience across as many browser types as possible). You may turn off cookies that have been placed on your computer by following the instructions on your browser, but if you block our cookies, it may be more difficult (and maybe impossible) to use the Services.
6. Use and Disclosure of your Personal Information
We may use and disclose your Personal Information only as follows:
- To promote use of our Services. For example, if you leave your Personal Information when you visit our Website and don’t sign up for any of the Services, we may send you an email asking whether you want to sign up.
- To bill and collect money owed to us. However, in the pilot period (scheduled to last until the start of the 2013-14 academic year, Speakr is offered free of charge to participating schools.
- To enforce compliance with applicable law. This may include developing tools and algorithms that help us prevent violations.
- To provide customer support.
- To protect the rights and safety of our Members and third parties, as well as our own.
- To meet legal requirements like complying with court orders and valid subpoenas.
- To provide information to representatives and advisors, like attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
- To prosecute and defend a legal case or similar proceeding.
- To support and improve the Services we offer. This will be done only when information is entered onto our marketing website: http://speakr.co.uk (never within the secure Speakr application itself), or when volunteered by Members.
- To communicate with Registered Administrators about their account for information, not promotional, reasons.
7. Public Information and Third Parties
- Blog. We have public blogs on our Website. Any information a Member includes in a comment on our blog may be read, collected, and used by anyone. If your Personal Information appears on our blogs and you’d like it to be removed, contact us here. If we’re not able to remove your information, we’ll let you know why.
- Social Media Widgets. Our Websites include social media features, like the Twitter follow button. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you’re visiting on our site, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our site. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
8. Notice of Breach of Security
Despite every effort to ensure that our systems are as secure as possible, nobody is safe from hackers. If a security breach causes an unauthorised intrusion into our system that materially affects a School, Staff, Pupils, or other Members then Speakr will notify the Registered Administrators as soon as possible and later report the action we took in response.
9. Safeguarding Your Information
Speakr is hosted on infrastructure provided by Amazon Web Services.
Speakr uses up to 256 bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session encryption provided by Thawte to secure electronic traffic between Speakr’s systems and school systems over the Internet.
Speakr accounts require a username and password to log in. Members must keep usernames and passwords secure, and never disclose them to a third party. Because the information contained in each School’s Speakr account is so sensitive, account passwords are encrypted, which means we can’t see your passwords. We can’t resend forgotten passwords either. We’ll only reset them.
10. Registration with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Speakr is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK as a Data Controller. This carries a legal responsibility to comply with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998 in the United Kingdom under the pan-European Data Protection Initiative 1995 (Directive 95/46/EC).
11. Accuracy of Data, Transparency, and Choice
We do our best to keep the data we hold accurate and up to date, to the extent that our Members provide us with the information we need to do that. If key data changes (like a new email address for Registered Administrators), then the relevant Members are responsible for notifying us of those changes, though the Speakr system.
We only store data about our users for as long as it’s reasonably required to fulfill the purposes that gave us the right to access it in the first place. We keep some anonymised data (data that does not have any associated names or text entries by which Pupils of Staff members could be identified) indefinitely, in order to improve usage of Speakr, assist in academic research into child wellbeing, and for other reasons explained in this policy.
We’ll give Members access to any Personal Information about them that we hold within 30 days of any request for that information you make by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Unless it’s prohibited by law, we’ll remove any Personal Information about a Member from our servers at that Member’s request.